On Dec. 14, 2009, the failure of a broadcast tower in Tulsa, Oklahoma had engineers scratching their heads. The chief engineer said when the guy wire was tested a few months earlier “everything seemed fine.”
Remarkably, 31% of all substation tower failures occur because of the construction crew’s poor judgment or a lack of basic engineering know-how, according to a recent Consolidated Engineering Inc. (CEI) report. Engineering oversights can cause a significant risk to the integrity of a tower and its foundation, which can ultimately lead to collapse.
DIS-TRAN Steel has built its company on simple values backed by honest customer relationships. Since 1965, customers have put their trust in us to deliver products – from simple substation structures to complex transmission poles – that are made using the best manufacturing process and the highest-quality engineering in the industry.
We offer the kind of security that comes from knowing exactly who is designing and fabricating your structures and how.
Unfortunately, some standards aren’t consistent across the industry. The CEI report found the top five causes of tower failure are caused by construction errors, ice, aircraft, special winds and anchor failure. The Tulsa tower’s failure was attributed to the latter two factors.
A CEI forensic specialist found in every wind induced tower failure he investigated, the tower wouldn’t have passed the current design code. It is important to design, manufacture and erect per current design codes to minimize the risk of poor structure integrity. Quality issues are not only costly, but dangerous as well.
So how can you ensure you’re working with the right manufacturer?
- Look for solid investments in the latest equipment and technology
- Attention to best practices and quality assurance
- A focus on hiring the most experienced engineers
- A commitment to top-notch customer service.
So what has DIS-TRAN Steel done?
- Doubled its manufacturing capacity and capabilities at its 300,000-square-foot, state-of-the art facility in Pineville, Louisiana
- Employ the latest fabricating innovations and rely on real-time scheduling and product tracking to ensure projects never fall behind
- Our in-house quality assurance and quality control program ensures every structure is examined by independent quality inspectors
- We are certified by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) and American Welding Society (AWS) and adhere to a strict quality standard. All of our welds are performed by certified welders and inspected by certified inspectors.
- Our engineering department is highly skilled at combining computer-aided design and drafting with numerical control fabricating systems to create the most efficient structures
- Provide Project Managers and Coordinators to be at your beck and call for the outstanding service you have come to expect from DIS-TRAN.
After five decades in business, you can trust that DIS-TRAN Steel is using the most innovative technology available to deliver structures that are both sound and incomparable in quality. No one can afford to skimp on quality manufacturing and engineering when it comes to transmission and substation structures. We pride ourselves on the unrivaled attention to detail, solid communication, and genuine customer service that all point to why we’re the elite steel supplier.
Visit DIS-TRAN Steel to learn more about our unique capabilities, mission, team and more.