Shortcuts can be killers. So, in every endeavor, DIS-TRAN makes sure to provide the highest level of integrity and safety that our employees deserve so they can return home each day to their loved ones.
With the quantity and types of materials that we deal with on an everyday basis, our safety processes need to be focused and detailed in order to make our employees feel secure. Our finished products can weigh from one pound to upwards of 50,000 pounds, so handling material in a safe manner is paramount.
Over the past five years, the number of man-hours worked has more than doubled at our plant, while the number of accidents has gone down. To achieve this success, we implement several safety processes on a daily, monthly and yearly basis.
What do we do to protect our employees?
DIS-TRAN Steel uses an Accident Prevention Process to keep employees from being injured.
- Full-time Safety Coordinator at our plant
- Aggressive orientation program for all new employees
- Job Safety Analysis are reviewed prior to every shift
- Stretches prior to every shift to focus our employees on injury prevention
- An external safety consultant visits the plant once a month to further train employees
- Weekly “Tool Box Talks” which is internal training on every topic pertinent to our industry
- Monthly leader training
- Audit system to help recognize hazards and correct them before they become an injury
- PPE worn at all times
Our employees come to work each day ready for whatever task is at hand, and so in return, we owe them a safe and hazard free work environment. To uphold our commitment, we also control hazards using Engineer Control, Administrative Control and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). Engineer Control is our intent to engineer all hazards out. Administrative Control is our procedure to change processes in order to make safe. PPE is required to be worn every day, at all times of the day, such as steel toe boots, safety glasses or ear protection.
Fall protection that has a body harness and a self protracting lifeline, is also used at our plant to protect our employees rain or shine.
We also work hand-in-hand with our loss prevention specialist, who works for our insurance company, and visits on a regular basis. This not only ensures that we are in compliance with state and federal guidelines, but it is taking the extra step to guarantee the safety of our employees.